Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Contentment

I love the kids' virtue this month at church.  I love that I learn so much from their memory verses.  This month's virtue grabbed me!

Contentment - choosing to be happy with what you've got.

"I have learned to be content no matter what happens to me.  I know what it's like to have what I need. I also know what it's like to have more than I need.  I have learned the secret of being content no matter what happens."  Philippians 4:11b-12a NIrV

Bottom Line:  When you want what someone else has, it can make you miserable.

I think it's so important - in this day - to teach our children (and ourselves!) the virtue of contentment.

I'm reading the book 7 now.  I will begin the journey hardcore in September and go through March.  I'm looking forward to being very uncomfortable, trying my best to be more like Jesus and learning more about contentment.  I'm hoping my children will observe and learn something too!  Josh may be joining me.

If you would like to join me, let me know!  We'll work out something.

Here's a brief description of 7 an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker:


"Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress. They would spend thirty days on each topic, boiling it down to the number seven. Only eat seven foods, wear seven articles of clothing, and spend money in seven places. Eliminate use of seven media types, give away seven things each day for one month, adopt seven green habits, and observe “seven sacred pauses.” So, what’s the payoff from living a deeply reduced life? It’s the discovery of a greatly increased God—a call toward Christ-like simplicity and generosity that transcends social experiment to become a radically better existence."

1 comment:

  1. I've had this on my "to read" list for a while! Looking forward to your updates on this!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...