Friday, April 22, 2011

Hospitality...

it isn't about impressing others -

It's about blessing others.

I attend a MOPS group at our church two Thursdays a month.  I love MOPS!

We usually have a speaker, do a craft, spend time is discussion groups and eat!  The time goes really fast, and I always desire investing more into existing relationships or getting to know a new friend better!

So, I've been doing a little something.  I try to ask 1 or a few ladies to come over to our home afterwards and visit for another hour or so.

But, here's the deal.  MOPS mornings are busy in this home!  Thursdays are my days to drive all the school aged kids (in our cul-de-sac) to school - so I have to have Ian and Halle in the car, dressed, fed and ready for MOPS by 8:45 - Sophie needs to be fed and ready for a full day of 1st grade - and 3 other neighbor boys jump into the van - and we're off!  There's often a few other random items that need to be loaded up into the van for MOPS - food, diaper bag, and other miscellaneous items for the meeting.  And the big kicker is... my home is often left in a bit of a mess.  Breakfast dishes may be on the table or in the sink, crumbs are on the floor, the beds probably didn't get made, the bathroom most likely has toothpaste in the sink and I'm sure someone forgot to flush!  We are all movin' to make it out the door by 8:45!

We try to have most of our chores done by Wednesday, but these friends are most certainly coming into our home at one of it's most cluttered times.

So why on Earth would I invite friends over into our home in that state?!  This may be the first time someone has seen our home - their first impression.

This is what I tell myself:
  • Hospitality is not about impressing others - It's about blessing others.
  • If I wait until my home is perfect, hosting others would never happen.
  • At certain times of the day, our home is more cluttered than others.  That's ok.
  • I want to have a home in which people feel comfortable, blessed and want to return.
  • I don't want people worried about impressing me and impressing others is just too stressful.
  • I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so this is great therapy for me!  :)
  • I believe we are called to be hospitable.
  • Relationships are my top priority - that's it.
What about you?  What are some of your hospitality tips?

    3 comments:

    1. Oh Myah! Such a great post! I have to remember not to be such a perfectionist when it comes to my house and having people over as well!

      Now that we're a family of 6 (yikes!), it can be difficult logistically to have other bigger families over for dinner. We've gone to having people over just for dessert in the evening. It doesn't put as much stress on trying to figure out where to put everyone, and it's much simpler to find a dessert or two that can be made ahead of time to make things easier on me!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Jackie, I LOVE the dessert idea! I know what you mean about having large families over for dinner (plus our own large families)! Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Myah,
      I love what you are doing and why you are doing it. I think this is a terrific post!! Thanks for sharing and encouraging others.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...