Friday, April 15, 2011

One Thousand Gifts...

As we're approaching the end of the Lent Season, I'm reflecting.  Did I accomplish much regarding spiritual growth?  Did I do well at "loving others"?  I think so.  I gave up Facebook for Lent - and focused on investing more into building and maintaining relationships - the old fashioned way.  My goal was to be intentional with "loving others" - 1 part of our Family Mission Statement.  During this time, my eyes have been opened even more to how grateful I am for these relationships - total gifts.

I had a day recently when I felt "down".  I'm thankful for those days though because it draws me closer to my God.  I kind of think He does it on purpose.  When do you grow the most?  At your highest or lowest?  In these down moments, I reach a point and - I know I need more, and I know what that "more" is.  My relationships on Earth definitely push, assist and inspire me along the way - but God is the only One that will provide exactly what I need and get me movin' again!  So, I turn to Him - another gift in my life.

Have you ever reached a point in your Mothering when you've asked yourself, "How much longer can I keep doing this?"  Thankfully, this doesn't happen to me too often, but a few days ago - it did.  I didn't like the feeling.  Thankfully, I was able to speak with Josh and a friend was near.  I was able to share and vent for a few minutes.  I was reassured.  I have the best husband and friends - 2 true gifts.

When I have these down moments as a Mother, it only takes me a second (or maybe a little longer) to realize how grateful I am that God chose me to be a Mother - 3 times - what a glorious gift.

Even during the screaming, clingy, fighting, messy, difficult moments, I know that I want to parent with joy.  I am choosing (and doing the best I can) to be consistently consistent and grateful in my Mothering.  I get to choose my attitude - another gift.

If you know me well, you know I love my lists and systems.  Today is the beginning of a new list I'm making.  Starting today, I am creating a list of One Thousand Gifts.  This list will include all the little things - and sometimes big - I witness each day that bring me joy.  Because I know... there is joy to be found all around me - at all times.

George MacDonald wrote, “No gift unrecognized as coming from God is at its own best…when in all gifts we find Him, then in Him we shall find all things.”

I believe that if we can slow down, hurry less, relax more, smile, be still, simplify...

We can find Him in all things—the very best gift of all.

Will YOU join me?

Today, I am grateful for:
1.  my earthly relationships
2.  my God
3.  my marriage
4.  my friendships
5.  God choosing me to be a Mother
6.  a grateful attitude
7.  budding trees
8.  greener grass
9.  moments listening to Halle read to Ian
10.  witnessing Ian find so much joy in a basketball

God, I love you.  I know You are the Giver of Gifts.  I am choosing to see You in ALL THINGS.  In the middle of trouble and messes, I know that You are there.  Please help me to slow down and see You in all things and in all moments.  I believe this could transform lives.  Fill me with peace, love and joy.  Thank You for loving me in all of my moments.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...