Thursday, January 17, 2013

Merry Christmas 2012 and Happy New Year 2013! {our Christmas letter}


Because I know not all of you received a Christmas letter from us through snail mail...

I thought you'd like to read it.  If not... just move on now.  I won't be offended.  It's kind of long.  You really must care about us if you make it to the end.  :)

Anyway... here it goes:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our home to yours!  Our hope is that you finished 2012 - strong - and we hope your holiday season has been meaningful and beautiful.

2012 was another energetic, productive year in our family.

“We’re plugging right along and living the dream,” Myah likes to say.

Here’s just a little bit of what we’ve been up to...

Josh:  Josh is enjoying his 3rd year as Assistant Principal and Athletic Director at a middle school in our backyard.  This is his 7th year in educational administration.  We can see his building from our home, and it’s so nice having him close to us.  With all of the hours he works, at least he can come home for a quick supper on his late nights.  Josh has been plugging away on his Ph.D in Educational Leadership.  In early December 2012, he passed his preliminary exams and was officially declared a “Doctoral Candidate!”  That was a super awesome day!!  So... he is currently working on completing his dissertation.  We’re hoping he’ll defend it next fall and graduate in December of 2013!  At that point, I hope to officially introduce Dr. St. John to the world!  It’s been such a long haul, but we’re so happy we have remained focused and committed to finishing strong.  I look forward to seeing where this takes us.  When he’s not working or studying, he enjoys playing guitar with the kids and in our church worship band.  Sophie has started playing the violin, so his wish has come true - jammin’ with one of the kids.  It’s so precious.  Along with music, he loves building fires, wrestling with the kids and traveling as much as we can.  We enjoyed traveling to and camping at a few bluegrass festivals this summer.  He continues to be the best husband and father he can be and works so hard to provide for his family.  He’s a good, Godly man.  We are blessed to have him leading our home.  Josh’s goal for 2013 is to finish his Ph.D.

Myah:  I would best describe my career as Home Manager and Educator.  I am beyond grateful I have this option and absolutely love serving my family full time.  I am in my 3rd year of working for my Dad’s business - Trellis Growing Systems - 5-10 hours per week.  I enjoyed homeschooling the kids last school year.  A lot of my spring, summer and fall was spent gardening and preserving - which we love to do as a family!  This school year, I have spent a lot of time serving as Halle’s Room Mother, volunteering in various ways - at the kids’ schools, Meals Ministry, Cookie Ministry and KidZone at Sonrise Church and delivering Josh his lunch and a kiss on most school days.  In my free time (all to myself!) - I have recently learned how to crochet, and I continue to enjoy writing a blog (www.missionmindedmothering.blogspot.com) in a way that captures our family’s journey and encourages others!  Mothering and Homemaking continue to be my main profession.  This profession has been the most challenging and rewarding thing I’ve ever done.  I grow and learn more and more each day.  My goals for 2013 are to learn more difficult crocheting projects, be the hands and feet of Jesus, and to learn a few chords on the ukulele.  I want to jam with the family!

Sophie {3rd grade}:  Sophie will turn 9 on January 14 and has enjoyed her year in 3rd grade.  She stays near me a lot, learning and helping out so much around the house.  She has recently learned to play the violin, and her instructor has been impressed with her progress so far.  She is starting voice lessons in January.  We’re hoping she’ll  continue to pursue music all the days of her life!  :)  At home, she loves mothering her Bitty Babies, playing with her sister and brother, crocheting, playing in fantasy land, running with neighbors, listening to music and playing violin with Daddy.  She is a leader and loves to be in charge!  We’re continuing to teach her how to lead with love and grace. :) She is a beautiful little girl that will change the world.  Sophie’s goal for 2013 is to get better at playing violin.

Halle {1st grade}:  Halle turned 7 on December 20.  Halle has had a wonderful year so far in 1st grade.  Halle continues to be super silly, smart, thoughtful, playful, energetic, strong and sooo loving!  She loves her family so much and would prefer to be home just playing around most days.  She enjoys doing 500 cartwheels and front walkovers each day, drawing, writing stories, playing baby dolls with Sophie, reading, running with the neighbors and wrestling with Ian.  She’s spontaneous and is always saying and doing crazy things!  She is a great big sunshine in our family.  She’s a gem and truly unique.  We love our little Hal.  Her heart is amazing.  Halle’s goal for 2013 is to become a better ice skater :) and learn a few chords on the ukulele with her Momma.  St. John Family Band coming soon!!

Ian {preschool}:  Baby Boy!  Ian will turn 4 on January 18.  Seriously?!  :(  I cannot believe he’s going to be 4.  Unreal.  I still carry him around a lot, rock him a lot, and snuggle him like a baby - because I can.  He’s the baby, and he knows it.  He continues to have moments in which he screams, throws fits, is impatient, absolutely adorable, smart and funny.  I do my best to remain patient, model speaking with love and pray each day for more patience and wisdom to handle a toddler.  I absolutely love teaching him at home!  He is exploding with his learning and amazes us each day.  He loves tractors, exploring around his Grandpa Rich’s farm, collecting eggs at the farm, pocket knives, gum, books, his sisters, guns, his Lowe’s dates with Daddy... but, his absolute favorite thing is ME!  He tags along with me everywhere - volunteering, working, housekeeping - he’s right by my side most of the time.  He does great being with me.  He loves visiting the girls at school and going to work with me, if he needs to.  He attends Sonrise Preschool 5 hours a week and spend Mondays with his Grandma and Grandpa St. John - when I’m working.  Ian is our “icing on the cake.”  I say all the time, “I’m so glad we had a boy!”  We are so grateful we get to experience a little boy after our two beautiful girls.  As Josh put it, “What did we do to deserve this?”  And that’s really how we feel.  Ian is a doll baby and the icing on our cake.  Ian’s goal for 2013 is to learn how to read.  

We are in a very busy season right now:  Raising a family, Josh is working so hard in his career and towards a PhD, and I’m doing my best to maintain a peaceful haven for my family to learn and rest, mentor and educate the gang.  God has called us to a great task.  We’re plugging right along.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”  Galatians 6:9
We truly hope that your 2013 is a year full of peace and joy.  Please know, we love you and care about you.

“We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.”  Edit Lovejoy Pierce

Write a beautiful story this year!

With love,

The St. John Family
Josh, Myah, Sophie, Halle and Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...