Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Importance of the Supporting Role

My husband is just several months away from defending his dissertation.  This is just so, so exciting!

When we started this journey a few years ago, people warned us of how hard it would be.  We listened to the warnings, but as a couple determined that we'd go for it!

It's unbelievable that we're so close to the finish line.

Ok... here's the point:

I bumped into a woman today who knows how close we are to the finish line.  She asked (referring to Josh's PhD) , "How are YOU?  The supporting role is so important."

I stood there and looked at her.  Amazed.  How sweet of her to acknowledge The Supporting Role and how hard some days can be on me - because he's gone, studying or just simply consumed in so much away from the home.

I replied, "I am good!"  Because really, I am.  So, so good!  I feel as if I've been completely covered and protected and blessed.

I went on to tell her that I've already given Josh a lovely little nudge that his dedication page better be all about me!  Ok, well... a good chunk of it better be all about me.  Well that's not very humble, is it?!

I walked away from our 2 minute conversation feeling proud.  Proud of the way I've supported my husband in this journey.  Even though Josh has told me countless times that he would not be where he is without my support - it's just not something I think about often, and I certainly don't take very much credit along the way.

And then I started thinking about each and every one of us.  Don't we all have a very important supporting role that we possess?  I'm not sure we realize the importance of these roles.

Josh's supporting role is to support me - in my profession of homemaking, mothering and educating our children.  Without Josh's incredible support of my role, I would not be able to reach my full potential.

With Josh being gone so much over the past few years, the grandparents have wrapped themselves all around us and blessed us in great ways!  They have been a huge support to me which has made it possible for me to support Josh in the way I have.  I also have a few fabulous friends who help and support me whenever I ask.  I would not be where I am without this support.

I believe we each possess a great supporting role.  

What is yours?  

Are you doing a good job of supporting your loved ones, and are you receiving the support you need to reach your full potential?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...