Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Garden and Compost...

I would definitely consider it a part-time job. And then - harvesting it and making sure it doesn't go to waste - Man oh man, it's keeping me busy this summer!

The garden is doing fabulous! We are harvesting carrotts, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplant, broccoli, peppers, cauliflower is coming! Our neighbor friends enjoyed some carrotts with the girls!


I went out the other night to check in on things, and the carrotts were ready! It's amazing how quickly things turn. There are tomatoes ready each day - just a few at a time - which is perfect.

I also found a straggling bottle out there. :)

The composting is keeping us really busy. It's a lot of work. It gets a little bothersome having it on my counter all the time, but I know it's the right thing to do. Throwing it all in the trash just doesn't seem right to me. We are sending about 1/2 the trash to the landfill each month - which is very exciting.


This is the part that gets to me. It has to be carried out each night, which is quite a haul. Well, maybe I'm just a wimp. Plus, it's usually dark - and I'm a big weeny!

One of the busiest things has been cooking or preserving what we grow. It's awesome, and I would love to share some of my favorite recipes with you that I have discovered. We did eggplant lasagna the other night! It was fabulous!

I keep focusing on February - when we'll be so thankful we're eating home/locally/organically grown fruits and veggies that were harvested or bought in the Summer! Oh, the nutritional value!

One of our favorite things to do (besides eating it) is giving it away! I love sharing with our neighbors, friends and family. Let me know what you love!! :)

God, thank you for this garden and for putting the desire and conviction on my heart to spend so much time doing this. Please use these fruits and veggies to make our bodies strong, healthy and happy! Bless us with an abundance so we can share, preserve and bless others. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Are we going to take the time to do this together, as we planned a few weeks ago?
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...